320g Caster Sugar
Grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
350g Plain flour
250ml Whole milk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
200g Unsalted butter, melted
Freshly squeezed juice and zest of 1 Lemon
50g Caster Sugar
23 x 13cm Loaf tin, greased.
Makes 8-10 slices.
Pre-heat the oven to 170°C / Gas Mark 3.
1. Put the sugar, eggs and lemon zest in a bowl and mix with a hand held whisk or electric whisk.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan on the lowest heat.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl, and combine the milk and vanilla extract in another bowl.
4. Add one-third of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and beat well, then beat in one-third of the milk mixture. Repeat this process until both mixtures are added, and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
5. Turn the mixer down to a low speed and pour the melted butter into the mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 45mins – 1hr, or until golden brown.
For the Lemon syrup: While the cake is baking, put the lemon juice and zest, sugar and 100ml of water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over a low heat and raise the heat after a few mins to allow the syrup to boil. When the cake comes hot out of the oven pour the syrup over the cake, whilst the cake is still in the tin. Leave the cake to cool before turning it onto a wire rack.
N.B. This recipe is not my own, taken from, The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook 2009.