Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing Mothers! You women are exceptional in every way: your sacrifices, love, dedication, wisdom, persistence, patience and provisions are never left unnoticed. There aren’t enough cards, gifts and cake in the world to measure your value, but know that you are loved!
I wasn’t able to physically spend the day with my Mum today, but we did have our usual Sunday afternoon phonecall and she caught me up on how she spent her day. (My littlest sister helped her cook lunch, that’s definitely something worth celebrating because it never happens!) We both sipped tea while I emailed Mum the pictures of the cutesy Mini-Victoria-Sponge Cupcakes I baked this weekend… Happy Mother’s Day!
Love & Cupcakes,
225g/8oz Unsalted butter
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
4 Medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
225g/8oz Self-raising flour
80ml Double Cream
Icing Sugar/Confectioners Sugar
Makes approx. 24 cupcakes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees/Gas Mark 4.
- Whisk the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and whisk until the mixture is a smooth consistency.
- Sift the flour over the mixture and whisk until all lumps have dispersed.
- Fill a cupcake tray with cupcake cases, and using two teaspoons fill the cases half way.
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and bake for 15-17mins. You can use a skewer/cocktail stick to poke through the middle of the cupcake to check that it is fully baked. The skewer/cocktail stick should come out dry with crumbs on, and the tops of the cupcakes will be a light yellow/golden brown.
- Leave to cool for approx. 20-30mins.
- Whisk the double cream until the consistency starts to thicken, and sift Icing Sugar over the cream until the mixture is thick and no longer runny. (You can add as much or as little Icing Sugar as you wish.) Leave to chill in the fridge while the remainder of the cupcakes are baking.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled down remove them from the paper case and slice off the top of the cake. Use a knife to spread jam on one half and the cream mixture on the other.
- Sandwich the two halves together and dust with Icing Sugar for decoration.
Serve with a fresh pot of tea :)